News Detail back to listing
Sentencing Code to come into force on 1 December 2020
- Nov 6, 2020
- Latest News
The Sentencing Act 2020 consolidates sentencing procedural law into a Sentencing Code (the Code), which brings together the procedural provisions which courts rely upon during the sentencing process. This includes:
- general provisions applying to sentencing courts
- different types of sentences
- certain behaviour orders which can be imposed in addition to a sentence
The Code covers adult and youth sentencing in England and Wales, as well as sentencing for the armed forces.
It’s hoped it will:
- help legal professionals in identifying and applying the law
- reduce the risk of error, appeal and delay in the sentencing process
- enhance the transparency of the process for the general public
For further information you can watch our webinar, held on 23 September 2020, in which lawyers from the Law Commission discuss how the Code will operate, and what practitioners will need to know to work with it.