Dr Jennifer Crean is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist based in Manchester. She has over 15 years’ experience as a Clinical Psychologist within the area of adult learning disability and adult mental health. Her most recent NHS post was as the lead psychologist for the Forensic Support Service, a consultancy service for Learning Disabled adults in contact with the Criminal Justice System for the North West area.
Dr Crean also has experience as the Lead Clinical Psychologist for the south Manchester community learning disability team, a joint NHS and social care service. She has worked with Older Adult services and Drug and Alcohol treatment services across Greater Manchester. She acts as an examiner and clinical placement supervisor for both the University of Manchester and University of Liverpool Doctoral Training programmes.
Fully accredited Criminal Expert Witness with Cardiff University/ Bond Solon (CUBS). Assessments undertaken across the UK, within various settings from prisons, YOIs, mother and baby units, refuges, local authority offices, solicitor's offices and police stations. She is regularly instructed by defence solicitors, family law solicitors, the CPS, the police and the local authority. My particular areas of special interest are Complex Trauma and PTSD, including Selective Mutism as a response to serious trauma. I have also completed many assessment of refusal to provide a sample to police, which is often associated with a background of PTSD and/or needle phobia.
Dr Crean specialises in;
• Adult Learning Disabilities
• Adult Mental Health
• Drug & Alcohol abuse
• Cognitive Functioning assessments
• Mental Capacity Act assessments
• Fitness to Plead/ Assessment of Capacity to Instruct Solicitors
• Fitness to plead/ fitness to be interviewed assessments;
• Assessments of Parents who are Learning Disabled
• Personality Disorder assessments
• Post-traumatic Stress Disorder assessments
• Mentally Disordered Offernders
• Risk of Violence and Sexual Violence assessments
• Parenting assessments
• Parental capacity assessments
• Assessments of personality disorder
• IQ/ Learning Disability
• Dr Crean has acted as an expert witness for over 12 years assessing clients for diagnosis of learning disability, fitness to plead, and Mental Capacity Act assessments, including capacity to parent and capacity to conduct Court proceedings. She has undertaken many NHS cases with clients who are involved in court of protection, family court and youth court/criminal court matters. Dr Crean has undertaken specialist expert witness training with Bond Solon in courtroom skills, report writing, cross examination and criminal law and procedure. She has been instructed over the years by the Crown Prosecution Service, defence Solicitors, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board and private individuals and has completed over 500 expert witness reports. She has appeared in the role of an expert witness in family court, magistrates and crown court (including yoith court) and the Court of Protection.
• Fully registered with the Health & Care Professionals Council (PYL 04049) & the British Psychological Society (083939)