Mr Papagiannopoulos qualified from Heraklion Medical School in Greece. He subsequently trained for eight years in the University of Stellenbosch, Cape Town completing the Specialist exams in Cardiothoracic Surgery and an MD thesis in the surgical management of tuberculosis in a paediatric population.
He pursued further training as a qualified surgeon at the Royal Brompton Hospital in 1999 and in lung and esophageal surgery at the University of Leuven, Belgium in 2000. In 2001 Mr Papagiannopoulos was appointed Consultant Thoracic Surgeon in Leeds, a position he holds to this day.
Mr Papagiannopoulos undertakes medico-legal work. He has attended lectures and received the Cardiff University Bond Solon expert witness certificate.
His areas of interest are:
• Minimally invasive treatment of lung cancer including chest wall (rib case).
• Management of airway disease benign and malignant (wind pipe) with local resection, PDT and stents.
• Treatment of emphysema; surgical and endoscopic using special valves.
• Treatment of chest wall deformities; pectus repairs without the use of metal bars both minimally invasive and open (Nuss or Ravitch).
• VATS (key hole) surgery for malignant and benign diseases of chest with an established program in Leeds since 2005.
• Complex operations for lung cancer involving spine offering team approach with a senior Neurosurgeon.
• Minimally invasive treatment for Thoracic Outlet syndrome (key hole surgery).
• Minimally invasive treatment (key hole) of atrial fibrillation.
• Management of mesothelioma.
• Offers second opinion for complex and failed procedures with National and International referrals
Details of expert witness practice:
• Claimant to defendant to joint expert ratio: 75/20/5
• Medical negligence cases
• Does not undertake medico-legal work under the age of 18
• Workload: approximately 120-150 cases per annum
• Experience in Coroner’s/Crown Court
University of Crete, Greece, Heraklion Medical School (MD 1990 ), University of Stellenbosch Medical School, Cape Town, RSA, House Officer 1991, University of Stellenbosch Medical School, Cape Town, RSA SHO Trauma/Cardiothoracic Surgery 1992, University of Stellenbosch Medical School, Cape Town, RSA Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency 1993-1998, Royal Brompton Hospital UK, SPR Thoracic Surgery 1999, Catholique University of Leuven, Department of Thoracic Surgery, Fellowship in Thoracic Surgery, 2000, Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon / Senior Lecturer Leeds University Leeds UK, 2001- Clinical Director Thoracic Surgery, Leeds 2006-2011.
Chair Thoracic Group, Yorkshire Cancer Network UK 2006-2008, Treasurer European Society of Thoracic Surgeons 2009-2017, President European Society of Thoracic Surgeons 2017-18, Director of external relationships ESTS 2019-2020.