Dr Panos Koumellis is a diagnostic and interventional Neuroradiologist since 2011 at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals. He is the lead Interventional Neuroradiologist, experienced in vascular brain disease and spinal intervention.
He has over ten years experience in treatment of brain aneurysms and other vascular malformations, clot retrieval for acute stroke and undertakes a number of percutaneous procedures in the spine for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.
Dr Koumellis started 7 years ago a joint neurosurgical and spinal orthopaedic meeting for discussion of complex spinal cases and runs busy spinal injections service for degenerative spinal disease.
Dr Koumellis has a wide experience in all aspects of diagnostic imaging of the brain and spine.
His expertise includes:
- Working closely with the neurosciences and the spinal orthopaedic team for the management of complex neurological, neurosurgical and spinal patients
- CT and MRI imaging of the brain and spine
- Angiography of the neuro-axis
- Treatment of brain aneurysms
- Imaging assessment of patients with acute stroke
- Scans for brain haemorrhage and traumatic injury of the brain and spine
- Imaging for the dementia service
- Spinal imaging
- Tumour and MS diagnosis
- Imaging for ophthalmological conditions
- Vascular imaging
- Percutaneous spinal procedures
Dr Koumellis is active in teaching, including for the MSc course for radiology trainees ran by the University of Brighton on neurovascular diseases, anatomy and spine. He also undertakes regular formal and informal teaching of radiology and neurosurgical registrars and intensive care nurses.
Certiﬁcate in medical leadership and management, BMA, London 2016; Pierre Lanjunias Neurovascular Educational Team Course, 2010; Excellence in Report Writing - Written evidence, Bond Solon, June 2020; Courtroom skills training, Bond Solon, July 2020; Civil Law and Procedure, Bond Solon, Sep 2020