I am a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist at Yeovil District Hospital and have been in this post since February 2006. I have over 35 years of experience in the field of Obstetrics & Gynaecology including clinical, research, management and teaching. I oversee busy inpatient/outpatient services and regularly manage complex cases in adherence to clinical evidence and guidelines. I am a high-volume Gynaecological Surgeon with extensive experience relating to surgical techniques and management of complications. I have been the recipient of Clinical Excellence Awards four times from Yeovil District Hospital in recognition for service development and providing excellent patient care.
My special interests include:
• Complications of Pregnancy and Childbirth
• Gynaecological Emergencies and Surgical issues
• Management of early pregnancy complications (including miscarriage and ectopic pregnancies)
• Management of Infertility
I have been a Medicolegal Expert since January 2019. I have provided medicolegal reports for both Clinical Negligence and Personal Injury cases.
I am able to prepare and submit reports within eight weeks of receiving written instructions and the complete set of records. I am aware of the Jackson Reforms and hence the need to control costs and adhere to court timetables.
Having personally dealt with very challenging obstetric cases, complex early pregnancy complications and performed thousands of surgical procedures, I have developed a wealth of experience that I believe has grounded me with a balanced sense of fair judgement and clinical acumen. My responsibilities as Head of Department have provided robust experience in the adjudication of disputes, medical errors and patient complaints. Examples of recent investigations I have led include challenging cases such as termination of pregnancy without the requisite legal documents, a fresh stillborn twin at 27 weeks and massive bleeding post vaginal hysterectomy.
I have had to conduct detailed investigations and root cause analyses of medical cases performed by my colleagues. These have developed my skills in reading and critically appraising big volumes of medical records in addition to honing my skills of mediation, arbitration and communication.
• July 2015 - Expert Witness: Excellence in Report Writing, RCOG, London, UK
• Feb 2018 - Expert Witness: Excellence in Report Writing. Bond Solon, London, UK
• May 2018 - Expert Witness: Courtroom Skills, BMA, London, UK
• Jan 2019 - Clinical Negligence Medicolegal Course, Specialist Info, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London
• May 2019 - Risk Assessment and Medicolegal Issues in Women’s Healthcare, RCOG London, UK
• June 2019 - Civil Law & Procedure Day 1 Bond Solon, London, UK. Civil Law & Procedure Day 2 Bond Solon, London, UK
• Jan 2020 - Cross-Examination Day, Bond Solon, London, UK
• Sep 2020 - Medico-Legal Essential Course, UK
April 2020: I have successfully completed the recognised Training and Assessment and have been awarded Cardiff University Law School Bond Solon Expert Witness Certificate. I have joined the National Register of University Certified Expert Witness.
• MB BCh: Honours with Distinction. December 1977, Cairo University
• MSc in Obstetrics & Gynaecology: November 1981, Cairo University
• MRCOG: November 1995, RCOG, London
• CCT in Obstetrics & Gynaecology: PMETB UK 2006
• FRCOG: November 2008, RCOG, London