Smith & Williamson is one of the leading firms of Chartered Accountants and Management Consultants in Ireland and is a member of Nexia International, an international network of accounting and consulting firms.
Our team of forensic specialists have a thorough knowledge of litigation, financial investigations and act as expert witnesses in the legal process on many commercial and personal disputes, criminal actions and fraud cases.
Our experts combine experience of investigating criminal and civil cases with exceptional technical know-how, supported by the latest technologies. Our forensic technology team provides technically focused solutions to issues surrounding the recovery, retention, investigation and presentation of electronic data, both in investigations and during the disclosure process.
Our team’s wide range of expertise enables them to offer a comprehensive forensic accounting service that includes:
• corporate fraud investigations
• asset tracing
• insolvency investigations
• regulatory and disciplinary investigations
• computer forensic investigations
• share valuations
• shareholder disputes
• marital separations
• fraud and financial crime
• commercial disputes
• valuations in commercial disputes
• valuations in divorce proceedings
• forensic technology
• personal injury
• loss of profits and loss of earnings claims
Paul G Wyse
Managing Director, Head of Advisory Services
Paul is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland and is the Managing Director of Smith & Williamson, Dublin. He worked in and headed up the firm’s insolvency unit in the period 1985 to 1994. He then acted as audit principal for many of the firm’s major clients in the period 1994-2004 and since 2004 has been responsible for the Irish litigation support division. Paul currently leads the advisory services team and has particular experience in acting as an expert witness in litigation support cases.
Paul has provided reports to and given evidence in the High Court, and the Commercial Court regarding shareholder disputes, valuation of shareholdings, negligence and professional indemnity claims, loss of earnings or profits and Family Law Court actions. He has also given evidence in arbitration and mediation cases.
Paul has extensive experience in the following types of litigation support assignments:
• Provided expert witness testimony and advices on family disputes
• Provided reports for and expert witness testimony in Family Law separation matters.
• Fraudulent trading actions.
• Director restriction and disqualification proceedings.
• Giving expert testimony in loss of earning cases in Tribunals and in Court.
• Acted as an expert witness in company valuation cases.
• Acted as expert witness in mis selling of investments cases
• Acted as expert witness in professional negligence cases
• Acted as an expert witness on Minority Shareholder oppression cases
Mr Stephen Scott
Director, Restructuring and Recovery Services
Stephen Scott has over 20 years’ experience across a number of sectors working on forensic investigations, formal insolvency appointments and informal advisory work.
Prior to joining Smith & Williamson he qualified as a Chartered Accountant in a Big 4 firm subsequently working for almost 15 years in its Corporate Recovery Department. He then moved to a top 10 firm acting as an appointment taking IP managing a diverse portfolio of cases.
He has worked on numerous forensic investigations, advisory and formal insolvency assignments. He is a founding member of the Irish Society of Insolvency Practitioners currently sitting on its ruling Council and Law Reform Committee.
Areas of expertise include; litigation support; investigations; asset search; formal (liquidations, receiverships, examinerships and bankruptcies) and informal restructuring.
• Litigation Support: Provided expert witness services in respect of recalculation of interest charges.
• Investigations: Conducted a detailed investigation and provided expert litigation support in relation to calculation of losses stemming from a car park fraud.
• Litigation support assignment in relation to termination of a contract and loss of profits claim in respect of a building contractor.
• Asset Search: Multi- jurisdictional asset tracing and improper asset transfer investigations.
• Investigated a computer company invoice discounting fraud involving duplicate invoices and cross border transactions.
• Investigation into misappropriation of client monies at a spread betting company.
• Investigation of an animal feeds manufacturer that involved duplicate books of account, balance sheet window dressing and understatement of liabilities.
• Resulting Trust investigation - Investigation into misappropriation of Company funds used to purchase valuable property assets that led to a multi-million euro settlement.