Dr Ewan McKay is a Consultant Cardiologist at the Royal Liverpool Hospital (Liverpool University Hospitals Foundation Trust). Having completed heart failure sub-speciality training with complex cardiac device implantation, Dr Mckay is internationally accredited via the international board of heart rhythm examiners (IBHRE). Dr McKay has also undertaken further training in an ISHLT accredited senior fellowship in advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology.
Dr McKay is routinely involved in the complex evaluation and haemodynamic assessment of patients prior to vascular and transplant surgery. Additionally, Dr McKay works closely with cardiothoracic surgeons in providing a prediction of RV support devices following complex valve intervention.
His special interests are Advanced Heart Failure with cardiomyopathies and the invasive study of RV dysfunction in Pulmonary Hypertension. Consequently, Dr McKay is a member of the European Society of Cardiology working groups on Aorta and peripheral vascular diseases and Pulmonary circulation and right ventricular function.
Clinical experience includes: Heart Failure
• All aspects of investigation and treatment of general and advanced heart failure including transplant candidacy.
• Integration of biomarker results, complex echocardiography, cardiopulmonary exercise testing, left and right heart catheterisation and genetic assessments in the treatment of cardiomyopathies and heart failure.
Further work in right and left heart catheterisation includes:
• Lung transplant assessment.
• Renal transplant candidacy.
• Complex valve assessment and surgical risk evaluation.
• Pulmonary hypertension assessment and aetiology work up.
• Assessment and management of acute decompensated (ionotrope/MCS) dependent heart failure patients awaiting heart transplantation.
• Awarded International Board of Heart Rhythm Examiners (IBHRE) certification (CCDS).
• Fully trained in complex device implantation at multiple tertiary centres.
• Implanting and teaching regional registrars bradycardia pacing.
• Previous exposure in subcutaneous ICD (S-ICD) implantation.
• Previous exposure in Leadless pacemaker implantation.
• Some experience of device extraction.
• Co-Lead Cardiologist for Heart Failure services for one of the largest hospital trusts in the UK.
Dr McKay is heavily involved in the teaching and training of undergraduates, postgraduates and physicians associates. As recognition of his skills and experience he is a Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Liverpool.