Dr Ewan McKay is a Consultant Cardiologist at the Royal Liverpool Hospital (Liverpool University Hospitals Foundation Trust).
Having completed heart failure sub-speciality training with complex cardiac device implantation, Dr Mckay is internationally accredited via the international board of heart rhythm examiners (IBHRE). He undertook further training and a subsequent post-CCT ISHLT accredited international fellowship in advanced heart failure, Mechanical Circulatory Support and Cardiac Transplantation.
Dr McKay is routinely involved in the complex evaluation and haemodynamic assessment of patients prior to transplant surgery, prediction of RV support devices following complex valve intervention and pulmonary hypertension therapies.
His special interests are Advanced Heart Failure with cardiomyopathies and the invasive study of RV dysfunction in Pulmonary Hypertension.
Clinical experience includes:
• All aspects of investigation and treatment of general and advanced heart failure.
• Integration of biomarker results, cardiopulmonary exercise testing, left and right heart catheterisation and genetic assessments in the treatment of cardiomyopathies and heart failure.
Further work in right and left heart catheterisation includes:
• Lung transplant assessment.
• Renal transplant candidacy.
• Complex valve assessment and surgical risk evaluation.
• Pulmonary hypertension assessment and aetiology work up.
Assessment and management of acute decompensated (ionotrope/MCS) dependent heart failure patients awaiting heart transplantation.
• Implanting and teaching regional registrars bradycardia pacing.
• Trained in the implantation of complex pacing devices at three large tertiary teaching hospitals.
• Undertaking the technique of subcutaneous ICD (S-ICD) implantation.
• Early experience of Leadless pacemaker implantation.
• Some experience of device extraction.
• Passed the BHRS written examination.
• Awarded International Board of Heart Rhythm Examiners (IBHRE) certification (CCDS).
• Management and Leadership Commitments.
• Previous Lead Cardiologist for Heart Failure services for an innovative District General Hospital.
Dr McKay is heavily involved in the teaching and training of undergraduates, postgraduates and physicians associates. As recognition of his skills and experience he is a Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Liverpool.