Brett Weintz is a Consultant Mechanical Engineer and Director at Brabon Engineering Services Limited. Brabon Engineering Services provide specialist technical engineering assistance with root cause analysis and troubleshooting mechanical damage/ failure on all types of machinery. Serving general industry, Operators/ Owners in the shipping and energy sectors.
Brett has an engineering history spanning 30+ years and 20 years as a consultant. Working as a consulting engineer with BAE Systems (1999 to 2007) and Lloyd’s Register – Technical Investigation Department (2007 to 2018). He has extensive experience in technical engineering roles ranging from the shop floor and vessel seagoing operation to ship repair/modification and design of ship systems. The focus over the past 10 years has been investigations of problems involving damage/ failure. He has the knowledge, drive and diligence to achieve successful investigations/ repairs under difficult circumstances.
He has extensive failure investigation experience with diesel engines, gas engines, large whitemetal bearings, roller bearings, seals as well as shaft alignment and shaft dynamics/ vibration. Investigations have involved complex dynamic measurements with all types of instrumentation, computer data logging and analysis. Cases of mechanical damage, e.g. fatigue failure, have also involved metallurgical laboratory analysis.
- Root cause analysis of damage/ failure to all types of machinery involving mechanical components such as: plain oil film bearings, rolling element bearings, couplings, lubrication systems etc.
- Shaft alignment calculations and measurements.
- Strain gauge measurements and calculations of stress/applied load.
- Engineering calculations including classical mechanics, finite element modelling and mechanical design with CAD drawings.
- Preparation of written reports to the highest standard.
BE (Hons), Mechanical Engineering, NSW Institute of Technology, Sydney, 1988